The peak of summer is here.
And nothing makes a summer warrior hunger than a day of swimming and sunning. Barbecue, potato salad, burgers, guacamole. Ahhh… Don’t you just love snacks by the pool? One of the beauties of snacking is you can burn off some calories, then snooze, then jump in and burn a few more. Ahhhhh. But we are by the pool, so healthy snacks are key. Before we share a few of our fave and yummiest healthy recipes, we just want to remind you of a few food safety tips. (After all, who wants an upset tummy on a beautiful su
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, food-borne illnesses peak during summer because the warm, wet climate is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. To minimize your risk of becoming sick, the USDA recommends following these basic rules of food handling and storage:
- Keep hot food hot and cold food cold until time to serve.
- Wash your hands, cooking utensils and serving dishes often.
- Cook food to safe temperatures.
- Keep cooked and uncooked food separate.
- Promptly refrigerate all leftovers within two hours (If the temperature is 90-plus, though, get that food in a frig within an hour.)
Phew, now that that’s taken care of, here are those tasty treat ideas………..
Mini Rice Cake Stacks
- mini apple-cinnamon rice cakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) natural peanut butter
- 4 banana slices
Spread 4 rice cakes with peanut butter and top with a banana between. Top with the remaining rice cakes.
- 1/2 ounce(s) cubed roasted deli turkey
- 1/2 ounce(s) cubed Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup(s) grapes
- 6 dried apricots
Thread turkey, cheese, grapes and apricots onto a wooden skewer.
Zesty Bean Dip and Chips
- 1/4 cup(s) fat-free canned refried beans
- 1 tablespoon(s) salsa
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 minced scallion, (optional)
- 1 ounce(s) tortilla chips, (about 10)
Combine refried beans, salsa, cilantro and scallion (if using) in a bowl. Serve with tortilla chips
Powered by Facebook Comments