Here are the essential questions to ask any pool contractor or pool builder before you start working together. (Questions come courtesy of Marcus Sheridan at River Pools) We took the liberty of filling in Pacific Northwest Pools’ answers here so you have them handy.
Our experienced crew is expert at all aspects of pool construction
so we don’t have to worry about sub-contractors.
1. Have you ever gone out of business or filed bankruptcy? Have you operated under other names?
No, we’ve been in business consistently since 1974 under the names Best West Construction and Rayson, Inc. We’re currently operating as Ad-Tech and Pacific NW Pools and we’ve never filed bankruptcy.
2. Where is your business and/or showroom located?
Our office is located in Clackamas, Oregon. We have a gorgeous demo pool we love to show off in nearby Happy Valley, Oregon.
3. How many pools have you worked on in the Portland area?
We’ve worked on thousands of pools over the years.
4. Can you provide references?
Yes, we have written references available and are happy to give you names of our customers you can call for a verbal reference.
5. How complete is your estimate? Will I be surprised when I start to work with you?
This is a great “what to ask your pool builder” question! We only give you an estimate once we’ve taken a look at your property. Our projects come in on-time and on-budget because 1) We know exactly what we’re doing and 2) We have a crew that does just about all of the work. We don’t have to rely on sub-contractors.
6. How long have you been working under your present name?
We changed our name to Pacific NW Pools in 2012 to better reflect our business. We still operate under the name of Ad-Tech Pools, as well. Before that, we were Rayson Inc. and we started our company in 1972.
7. Can I talk to suppliers that you’ve used for the last couple of years?
You bet. We have great relationships with our suppliers and vendors. We work with some of the best companies in our industry and we’re happy to supply that information.
8. Can you give me copies of lien waivers from sub-contractors and vendors to show they’ve been paid for the work they’ve done with you?
Yes, of course. As we said above, we’re proud of our good relationships and comfortable sharing those names with you.
9. Do I make out a check to a personal or business account?
We only accept checks made out to our business account.
10. Why should I trust you to build my pool?
There are several reasons you should trust Pacific NW Pools.
- We maintain a personal, open and communicative relationship with you as we walk through every stage of your project. We aren’t done until you are completely satisfied.
- We don’t job out to sub-contractors so you’ll know the people who are on your property, an aspect of our company that our customers love.
- We’ve been around more for than 40 years and have ended up fixing a lot of the mistakes that other contractors have made. As a result, we know and use only the materials and techniques that are going to last and make your life as a pool or spa owner easy, pleasant and fun. (After all, fun is one of the reasons you’re building that pool, right?)
11. Should I run a Dun & Bradstreet report on you? What would I find?
You would learn that we have a very long history of paying our bills on time.
12. Do you provide workers comp and general liability insurance for everyone working on the job?
Yes, every person who works on any of our projects is fully insured.
13. Can I see a copy of your certificate of insurance?
We are happy to provide that information.
14. Will all the work involved in building my pool be included in my contract?
Yes, our contract is very thorough and includes every aspect of labor, materials, permits, etc., except for handling the electrical or gas line. We are happy to include this work in our estimate, but often allow the client to manage the electrical and gas aspect.
15. Will you give me an itemized breakdown of parts, materials, labor costs and services?
Yes, this is standard practice and we provide this to every customer.
So, if you’re interviewing contractors for your pool project, your assignment is to ask these questions of every one you speak with. Remember, an educated pool owner is a happy pool owner!
As always, if you’ve got any questions, just email email@example.com or give us a call at 503–631-4816. We want you to be educated before you make this very important decision.
Powered by Facebook Comments